St John's Church


St John's Church St John's Church

St John's Church History - Key Dates

950 AD
The earliest church on the site was founded, possibly by St Dunstan
1100 AD
The church was enlarged over the next 400 years
C.1200 AD
North transept added
C.1400 AD
Central tower collapsed!
1428 AD
Porch built
1475 AD
Present tower built (134.5ft / 44.4m high)
1484 AD
Parvis room added above porch, completing the re-building
1539 AD
Dissolution of the Abbey - St John's Church passed to the Crown
1649 AD
The Church passed to the Bishop of Bath & Wells
1856 AD
The Church was refurbished and the Medieval and Georgian furnishings removed
The work was overseen by Sir George Gilbert Scott
1901 AD
Restoration of the Tower
C.1910-30 AD
Chapels restored to their original
1926 AD
Organ moved to its present position behind screen designed by Bligh Bond
1932 AD
Chancel Screen erected by Read of Exeter
1955 AD
The reredos and altar installed with design by Alban Caroe
1972 AD
Organ rebuilt, with a detached console positioned in the north aisle
1975 AD
Tower west face restored and cleaned
1980 AD
The Crown of the Tower was restored and all its pinnacles replaced
1986 AD
Organ extended
1987 AD
Chancel floor renovated with new limestone
2006 AD
Clerestory stonework renovated

Contact Us

St John's Church
High Street

01458 830060